Whether you’re a frequent traveler or only fly to visit family for the holidays, it may seem like the Transportation Security Administration’s (TSA) guidelines are constantly changing. If you invested in a vape, you don’t want to leave your high-quality equipment behind but you don’t want it confiscated, either.
So, how do you bring a vape through airport security?
The TSA will not confiscate your vape or vape mod if you bring it in your carry-on luggage. While you can’t use your vape or any other electronic smoking device on a plane, the TSA officially announced that these devices are safe to bring in your carry-on only. However, there are some caveats involved in bringing your electronic smoking equipment on your flight.
Let’s explore the right way to bring your vape mod on your next trip.
How to Bring Your Vape on a Plane
All of the tips in this article apply only to domestic travel within the United States. If you are flying internationally, check each country’s regulations prior to your travel date. While the TSA will not flag you or confiscate your vape equipment, they are still particular about how you bring it aboard.
Your vape equipment can still pose a safety risk, even when you aren’t smoking. Electronic smoking devices, such as vapes and vape mods, usually contain lithium batteries. These batteries are a fire risk. Additionally, if packed improperly, your vape can activate in your bag by accident. If your vape equipment activates in a checked bag, there is no one to monitor it if it overheats or malfunctions when it is in the cargo hold.
Here, we’ve detailed everything you need to do and know about packing your vape mod for your next vacation.
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) worked with other federal agencies to build comprehensive protocols around transporting electronic smoking devices, including vape mods. This means the regulations and rules regarding these items apply wherever you fly within the United States.
Here are the FAA guidelines about traveling with vapes:
- Appropriately pack your vape mod: Passengers are allowed to bring all electronic smoking devices in their carry-on luggage. Pack them carefully and in a way that will prevent them from accidentally turning on. The easiest way to do this is by packing them in a protective case.
- Remove the battery: Lithium is a risky substance to bring on a flight, which is why the TSA checks for devices with lithium. You can place your batteries in a separate case or in a plastic bag. This will prevent a short circuit. Remember, each lithium-ion battery must be under 100-watt hours and have a lithium content of under two grams.
- Disassemble the vape and mod before entering the security line: We recommend you put all of the parts (tank, atomizer, mouthpiece, batteries, and more) in a carrier for inspection and make it clearly visible in the tray bin that goes through the X-ray scanner.
- Put all liquid cartridges in a plastic bag: Liquid cartridges are still subject to TSA regulations regarding liquids, so they must be 3.4 ounces or less. You can use a vape mod for cartridges, but you still need to disassemble the pieces and pack the cartridges according to the regulations mentioned above.
Just because you can bring your vape mod on a plane doesn’t mean it’s all smooth sailing. There are still actions that will result in delaying your security check if you don’t follow the steps properly. You can also have your vape mod confiscated and be fined for the irresponsible use of your vape mod.
Here are vape-related things to avoid when flying:
- Using devices on the plane: Smoking is prohibited on aircraft, even with vape mods. If you’re caught vaping on your flight, you can be charged anywhere between $2 and $4,000. You could also face federal charges if you tampered with smoke detectors or ignored the flight crew’s requests to stop smoking.
- Charging devices on the flight: The TSA prohibits charging any electronic smoking devices on flights. You can be fined if you are caught charging your device on the plane. Instead, charge your vape mod before or after your flight.
- Keeping a vape mod in your bags while going through security: The larger your vape mod, the more suspicious it looks under X-ray when it’s tucked deep in your bag. Security may pull your bag to search through and inspect the vape. Instead, put the equipment in a separate tray as you would a laptop.
- Leaving a vape in your pocket: By putting your vape and mod in your pocket, you may forget it’s there. Once you go through the scanner at the security checkpoint, you will likely get flagged and pulled aside for a body search. This could cause delays that could have been easily avoided.
Up in the Clouds With VapeBeat
By following the above recommendations for flying with vape mods, you will get to your destination on time and be able to enjoy your vape mod on vacation. For more information and recommendations on the best vape mods, check out our latest articles!