New to vaping? Thinking about getting a vape pen? Torn between a JUUL or a Blu e-cig? No worries, you’re in the right place! In this post we’re going to be taking a look at both vape pens, how they work, and, in the end, help you decide which is the best vape pen for your needs…
Latest VapeBeat E-Juice Store Deals (USA Only):
JUUL vs Blu – Which is Best?
- JUUL – The JUUL is a very simple vape. It doesn’t look like much, but that’s kind of the point because it is meant to be sleek and discreet. The chassis is made from plastic and it is super-simple to use; just pop the pod in and you’re away. There are no buttons, as everything is breath-activated.
- Blu – The Blu is more or less the same deal as the JUUL. It’s lightweight, slim, and extremely discreet. The Blu is also very simple to use. All you have to do is insert a pod and you’re away. Like the JUUL, the Bly e-cig is breath-activated, so there are no buttons.
Winner? Draw – they’re both more or less the same in this regard. Aesthetically, I do think the JUUL is a more attractive-looking device, though.
- JUUL – The JUUL’s battery life is, well… fairly crap. There’s no way of getting around this. You’ll get around 200 puffs from it before it requires a recharge. For this reason, if you go the JUUL route, you’ll definitely want to invest in a spare JUUL battery pack, otherwise, you’ll be left high and dry far too often.
- Blu – The Blu is better in this context. During my time testing the Blu, I found it to have a vastly superior battery life than the JUUL – around 30% better, to be specific. That means, if battery life is important to you, and it really should be, the Blu is the one to go for.
- JUUL – JUUL’s selection of flavors is fairly limited. What JUULpods it does make, however, is very, very good. Fortunately, you can buy cheaper, third-party JUULpods that will run in it, opening up lots more potential for flavor options. All told, JUUL doesn’t really do enough flavors. I’d like to see more selection. Right now, it just feels a little too limited…
- Blu – Blu, on the other hand, does A TON of flavors, ranging from tobacco right down to dessert and more complex fruit flavors. Its pods are also larger and cheaper than JUUL’s which means the Blu not only has more flavor options but also delivers better value for money.
- JUUL – Considering all of the above, the JUUL isn’t very cheap. You’re looking at around $40 for a starter kit and that is VERY expensive, especially when there are far better, cheaper, 100% refillable alternatives available (like these awesome pod mod systems).
- Blu – The Blu, once again, delivers plenty of value for money. Priced at just $28, the Blu is around 40% cheaper than JUUL to acquire. For this price, you also get a couple of packs of Blu’s pods too, so for me, this makes Blu way more impressive with respect to value for money.
Ease of Use
- JUUL – The JUUL is so simple to use, anyone could pick it up and start vaping; even those with ZERO experience with vape devices. But this is the entire point of these types of devices; they’re designed for smokers that are looking for easy to use alternatives to cigarettes.
- Blu – Like the JUUL, the Blu is, once again, very easy to use. There are no moving parts, no buttons – it’s just a battery and a pod. All you have to do is connect them and start vaping. It couldn’t be simpler.
Winner? Draw – they’re both super-simple to use.
- JUUL – When the JUUL is working, it’s great. The only MAJOR problem with it is its battery life; it sucks. When it’s got a full battery life it’s great, hitting hard and true. Just don’t get too comfortable because within an hour or two the battery and, therefore its performance, starts to wane…
- Blu – The Blu has a better battery life than the JUUL, so it hits harder and more consistently for longer periods of time. The flavor, draw, and vapor production is decent too, making this an ideal choice for those looking to get off of cigarettes immediately.
- JUUL – The JUUL is a pain in the ass to charge. Why? Because it uses a proprietary charging port that you have to carry everywhere with you for on-the-go charging. If you forget it or, worse, lose it, you’re basically screwed until you can find a replacement. In an ideal world, it’d charge via microUSB. But for whatever reason, JUUL decided this would make things just too simple.
- Blu – The Blu charges via microUSB, so it is far simpler to charge. Everybody has microUSB cables, so charging it on the go is simple. You can easily take a small cable in your pocket and most people have loads of these in their homes. All ecigs should use USB to charge. Proprietary chargers are the work of Satan himself!
Overall Verdict (Quick Summary)
JUUL might be the vape that everybody knows and loves, but for me, Blu offers up more flavor options, better battery life, and an overall cheaper vaping experience in the short, medium, and long term. It’s also way cheaper than JUUL to buy…
- Better Battery Life Than JUUL
- More Flavors
- Cheaper To Run
- Different Styles of Vape Device
- Loads of Accessories
JUUL vs BLU – A Full Comparison
New to vaping? Thinking about getting a vape pen? Torn between a JUUL or a Blu e-cig? No worries, you’re in the right place!
In this post we’re going to be taking a look at both vape pens, how they work, and, in the end, help you decide which is the best vape pen for your needs.
The pitch and function of both the JUUL and the Blu e-cig are very similar. Both companies are going after the same demographic: current smokers that are looking to quit.
Another great option for this style of vape is the Apollo Brez Deluxe; it’s smaller than the JUUL but actually has better battery life. I recently tested this one out and had a blast using it! Like the JUUL and Blu, it’d make a great first vape for current smokers.
And, make no mistake, these kinds of vapes do have a place in today’s market, a rather important one.
For this reason, Blu and JUUL have made their respective products as similar to actually smoking as possible. You get the same sensation and the same level of nicotine, only it tastes a lot better (and is 95% safer, of course).
I have both of these vape pen devices and I have used them both pretty extensively, so what follows is my own personal, appraisal of both based on a couple of month’s worth of usage.
First, let’s take a look at each device individually.
JUUL is extremely popular, both in the US and UK. Of all the vape brands in operation today, JUUL is the most well known. It’s also one of the youngest brands too.
JUUL makes one device (and yes, it’s called JUUL).
The JUUL is a small, lightweight device that runs an internal battery. The E Juice is stored on pods (these are called JUUL Pods) which are inserted into the top of the device.
How it works is simple: make sure the device is charged, then insert a JUUL Pod and take a drag. And that’s it – it is incredibly simple.
JUUL Pod Flavors List
You have the following flavors to choose from. Please note: JUUL is a closed system, meaning you CANNOT add your own E Juice (though there are unofficial ways around this).
Right now, JUUL offers the following flavors:
- Virginia Tobacco
- Cucumber Flavor
- Creme Flavor
- Classic Menthol
- Fruit Medley
- Classic Tobacco
JUUL Pods run Nic Salts E Juice which is a lot stronger than normal E Juice. The reason? For a bigger hit that is closer to what you get from an actual cigarette.
The flavors, while limited, are very good.
My personal favorite is Mango. I could vape that stuff all day long – and I sometimes do!
Each JUUL Pod lasts for about 200 puffs; that’s around the same time as a pack of 20 cigarettes.
JUUL Battery Life & Performance
The JUUL battery life isn’t great. But it is a small device, so this kind of goes without saying.
The battery will last for about the duration of a JUUL Pod, so, again, around 200 puffs.
Performance is very good, however: you get excellent vapor production and extremely precise flavor. And because of the Nic Salts, you get your fix quicker and do not need to vape as much.
This is why battery life shouldn’t be too much of a concern.
The Blu E-Cig – Is It Any Good?
Again, the Blu e-cig is remarkably similar to JUUL. It is more or less the same kind of deal, in that it is a closed system that runs on pods. The pods also run on Nic Salts E Juice too.
The design is different though. The Blu looks and feels slightly more robust than the JUUL. It’s thicker and longer and has more rounded edges than the more angular JUUL.
This means it is super-portable and will fit pretty much anywhere on your person. I tend to keep mine in my pocket when I’m using it. When it’s in there you barely notice it.
Bottomline: there is very little to separate these two devices in terms of how they look and how they handle.
They’re both elegant, portable vape pens and neither takes up any room in your pocket.
Blu myBlu Flavors
Blu’s pods are called myBlu and unlike JUUL it offers A LOT of choice when it comes to flavors – about four times as much as JUUL.
In this respect, Blu is a way better option. If flavor choice is important to you, Blu has way more to offer than JUUL.
Here’s a breakdown of Blu’s myBlu flavors:
- Strawberry Mint
- Blue Ice
- Bourbon Caramel
- Cafe Latte
- Eucalyptus Lemon
- Cherry Crush
- Ginseng Ginger
- Green Apple
- Mango Apricot
- Tobacco Creme
- Coconut Breeze
Again, Blu’s pods are filled with Nic Salts E Juice, so you’re going to get a nice hit when you vape them.
Blu’s pods are also cheaper than JUUL’s – you can pick a pack up for as little as $9.99 (versus $15 for a pack of JUUL Pods).
Blu Starter Kit Performance & Battery Life
Another area where Blu has JUUL beat is battery life. It’s better by quite a margin in this context. On top of this, you can charge the Blu e-cig using microUSB which is super-handy.
The JUUL requires a propriety charging dock, and if you forget it, you’re basically screwed if you want to charge up the device. This has happened to me multiple times and it is NOT fun.
With the Blu, all you gotta do is find or borrow a microUSB charger and you can top her up to almost full in about 30 minutes or so. This is an infinitely preferable method for charging than JUUL’s.
Each myBlu pod will last around a full day. In my experience, they tend to do a little more than this, providing you aren’t chain-vaping it all day long.
The flavors are very decent too. Ditto the vapor production. Chuck in better battery life and the fact that is cheaper to run than the JUUL, and it is starting to look like the Blu ecig is superior to the JUUL.
- Better Battery Life
- Cheaper To Run
- More Choice With Flavors
JUUL or Blu – What’s The Best Vape Pen To Get?
I’ve tried to be as fair as possible to both vape pens. Neither device is perfect, and both have imperfections.
But I do think Blu has some pretty major advantages over JUUL. The most notable of which are as follows:
- It’s Cheaper – Both For The Device & Its Pods
- Battery Life – The Blu Has Better Battery Life
- Flavors – Blu Offers More Flavor Options Than JUUL
I do actually prefer the way JUUL’s pods taste, but for overall choice and price, Blu’s way of doing things is kind of more appealing (and also cheaper in the short and long run).
Best Deals For Blu Intense Starter Kit & JUUL Starter Kit
DirectVapor | $9.99 (Down From $29.98) + Includes 1x myBlu Pods
JUUL Starter Kit | $35.95 + Includes 1x JUUL Pods