The Keto Diet and vaping really do go hand in hand when it comes t0 CRUSHING sugar cravings!
VapeBeat is about one thing and one thing only: VAPING. We don’t do dieting advice, nor do we profess to know anything about them. But I made a discovery a few months back and figured I’d share it with you guys.
I’ve been doing the ketogenic diet — or, keto, as it is more commonly known — for a few months now. I won’t go into too much detail about the diet itself, suffice to say it is a low-carb one that champions high fat and moderate protein intake from foods derived from natural sources over refined carbohydrates and sugar.
You eat a lot of meat and vegetables and cheese and stuff like that, which suits me down to the ground because these are things I like A LOT. But I do kind of have a sweet tooth and I do REALLY miss the occasional treat.
But you’re not really allowed lovely, sugary sweet things on this way of eating, as it defeats the object of the diet — your body needs to be in ketosis, using fat for energy vs sugar, in order for you to start losing body fat (getting into keto can take anything from a week to a couple of weeks).
Getting over 50g of carbs in your diet will kick you right out of ketosis, and this stops the magic from happening. You want your body to be using fat for fuel, as this, overtime, reduces your overall body fat levels and weight.
But what about sweet things? Things like chocolate and candy? They’re packed with sugar. Ditto fruits. And this means they’re a no-go for those on keto.
And to be 100% honest with you: the longer I’m in ketosis, the less I actually crave sweet things like candy, chocolate and cakes. It still happens, sure, but most of these cravings can be handled with a spoonful of peanut butter.
I’ve always preferred savoury snacks and foods over sweet things, but my GF, who is Kurdish, LOVES chocolate and sweet treats. She is also one of those people who can eat whatever they like and remain constantly fit and trim.
I am the complete opposite. Hand me a McDonalds and the next day I am four pounds heavier.
AND this, ladies and gents, is where vaping comes in handy – at least for me, anyway!
Keto Diet and Vaping (and Diet Coke)
Basically, whenever I CRAVE sweet things I just have a toot on a super surgery flavour E-Liquid like Candy Crunch, Muffin Man or something similar. Usually, these aren’t my preference — I tend to go for cooler, fruitier flavours — but when I am craving chocolate or something equivalent I just have a can of Diet Coke and vape on some sweet ejuice.
I know, I know – diet Coke is terrible. But I only use it as my last resort.
More recently, I’ve managed to ween myself off the evil black stuff. Although it wasn’t easy – Diet Coke is terribly addictive. It is also terrible for insulin response as well.
Scary Facts About Diet Soda
- Aspartame – one of the most controversial things to ever be approved by the FDA. Over 90 side effects have been confirmed and include: headaches, fatigue, depression, anxiety, cancer and seizures to name just a few.
- Weight Gain – “A study,” notes Natural Living Ideas, “listed by the American Diabetes Association, has shown a link between consuming diet sodas and having an increased waist size. In fact, those who drank diet sodas actually had a waist size of up to 70% greater than non-drinkers.”
- High Blood Pressure – A single exposure to the chemical (aspartame) can have an immediate impact on your health health. BPA was found in the urine of participants within two hours of exposure. That’s bad. What’s worse is that blood pressure levels also rose dramatically within the same time period. Double bad.
- Kidney Function – In a test, which took place over 20 years, nurses that drank two cans of diet soda a day experienced reduced kidney function at the end of the test period by up to 30%. Just from Diet Soda.
And this crap is an FDA-Approved chemical.
Still unsure what Keto is? Check out the science behind the diet in the handy video below:
I still get cravings, sure, but they are mostly dispelled by a quick toot of something sweet. Now, I’m not saying you NEED to start vaping if you don’t already do it — I’d never advocate that — but vaping can be very helpful in killing sugar cravings dead in their tracks if you’re already a seasoned vaper like myself and interested in adopting the keto lifestyle.
I don’t know whether this is just me or not, so if you have any experience with keto and vaping do let me know in the comments section below. Personally speaking, I bloody love it and if you’re interested in finding out more I suggest you read The Bulletproof Diet by Dave Asprey — it’s well written and packed full of useful information.
Although one of the best, overall resources I have found for everything keto is the keto subreddit on Reddit. Join it, read it, live it – you won’t regret it, I promise.
Other notable keto information websites include:
READ THIS NEXT:
- Best Box-Mods For Under $100
- War on Vaping So Stupid Even The Mainstream Media Agrees
- Best Vape Tanks 2016
- Best eJuice 2016
- Best DNA 200 Box Mods