How To Choose Your First Vape – A Quick N’ Easy Guide For New Vapers. Below, You’ll Find Out Everything You Need To Know About Vape Kits, Different Styles of Vaping Devices, E Juice, and How To Choose The Perfect, First Vape Kit For Your Exact Needs…
Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω Ω
You’ve made the decision to quit smoking. You’ve read all the literature about the benefits of switching to vaping.
You’re ready to make a move…
And then you realize there are literally THOUSANDS of options to choose from when it comes to vape products.
A sinking feeling engulfs you, and you think: this isn’t going to be as easy as I thought…
I know this feeling. Trust me. It’s exactly how I felt when I first started looking into vaping as a way to quit smoking.
This is why I have put together this detailed, easy to follow guide on how to choose your first vape.
I want to help you avoid the #1 most-common pitfalls most people experience when quitting smoking and switching to vaping.
Right! Let’s do this…
How To Choose Your First Vape (The Proper Way To Do It…)
As with most things in life, there’s a right and wrong way to go about choosing your first vape kit.
The wrong way is simple enough: go into your local vape shop with ZERO ideas about what you want.
This mistake is made by millions of people every year. It’s silly because there is no way to know whether what the owner is selling you is any good…
Case in point: back when I first started, I paid almost $50 for a vape pen kit (which I later found out retailed for $10 online).
Don’t make this mistake.
The right way to choose your first vape kit is also pretty simple too: do some research, like reading this post, and understand EXACTLY what you want from a device.
Knowledge is power in all walks of life, and it also pays dividends in the vape marketplace too.
By knowing what you want before you pull the trigger on a vape kit, you’re in control.
You know how much you should pay, what to expect, and whether a certain device or style of device is suitable.
Types of Vape Kit – All The Different Vapes You Can Buy
Below is a brief description of all the different types of vaping devices you can buy right now.
- Box Mod & Tank Kit – These are the most common style of vape kits. You have a box mod, which contains batteries and powers the tank. A box mod has controls so you can change the wattage/temperature. Most box mod kits come with vape tanks too. Hence why they’re popular.
- Pod Mod (All-In-One Vape) – Pod Mods are basically devices like the JUUL. Everything is contained within a single device. There are little to no moving parts. These have become increasingly popular in 2018.
- Tube Mod & Tank Kit – Like a box mod and tank combo, these devices are more cylindrical in shape. Most beginner ones are regulated, meaning you can use them safely. Most lack the ability to control wattage and temperature though.
- Mech Mods – Mech Mods are 100% unregulated. If you’re new to vaping, you DO NOT want to be messing around with these types of devices. They’re only suitable for very experienced vapers.
- Squonk Mod & RDA – Squonk mods are great, but you need to run an RDA (a rebuildable tank, whereby you make and install your own coils) to run them. They look and function like box mods, but they also contain a bottle of E Juice that you can squeeze to “squonk” juice up into the tank.
What’s The Best Vape Device For Your First Vape – Mods or Pods?
If you’re brand new to vaping, you are 100% best off with something simple.
This will ensure you DO NOT run into any issues when setting up or using the vaping device.
For this reason, I’d recommend either a Box Mod and Vape Tank kit or a Pod Mod (if you want something super-simple).
Personally, I would also go with a box mod and tank combo over a pod mod…
Simple: battery life, the ability to change settings, such as power and wattage, plus with a box mod you’re free to change vape tanks whenever you like.
Box Mod & Tank Checklist
Pod Mod Vapes: Things To Keep In Mind (PROS & CONS)
A pod mod is an all-in-one device, so they’re very simple.
However, they often have poor battery life and devices like the JUUL do not let you use your own E Juice – and this sucks!
You also have to run Nic Salts E Juice in them too (check out the Best Nic Salts Brands here).
Inside our Guide To The Best Pod Mods, we only recommend pod vapes that are 100% refillable.
The reason? They’re cheaper to run and a lot better in the long run.
Let’s Talk About Vape Tanks (Because They’re Super-Important)
A vape mod is important. But a vape tank is what you’ll be tasting and inhaling the vapor through, so it’s important to get the right one.
The Two Main Styles of Vape Tanks (How They Draw)
The inhale, or the way a tank draws is key – especially if you’re brand new.
There are two main styles of “inhale” on a vape tank: mouth to lung (MTL) and direct to lung (DTL).
- MTL tanks draw in a similar way to cigarettes; the draw is tight and you inhale first into your mouth then into your lungs. Hence the name.
- DTL tanks are more common, but they DO NOT draw like cigarettes.
- DTL tanks are more like inhalers, as you draw straight-down to your lungs, and this can be tricky for new vapers.
This is why a lot of people cough when they first use a proper sub ohm tank; the draw is so different from a cigarette.
You have to take it all the way down on the inhale, otherwise, it doesn’t work properly.
Knowing which style of tank you want is KEY.
If You Want A Similar Sensation To Cigarettes Get A MTL Tank.
What About E Juice?
E Juice is probably the most important aspect to consider when vaping. It’s what you’re breathing in, so you need to ensure it is good quality.
But the type of E Juice you use will also depend on the device and/or tank you’re using:
- Pod Mods – These tend to run on Nic Salts E Juice and/or higher PG E Juice
- MTL Tanks – These run on higher PG E Juice or Nic Salts because the draw is different. Higher PG concentrations make for a more pronounced throat hit, whereas higher VG is smoother.
- DTL Tanks – These run high VG E Juice; the higher the better. High VG E Juices are smooth, so you can inhale them direct to lung without any coughing.
- High VG E Juice = Sub Ohm Tanks, DTL Tanks, Rebuildable Tanks (RDA, RTA, RDTA)
- High PG E Juice = MTL Vape Tanks, Pod Mods
- Nic Salts E Juice = MTL Vape Tanks & Pod Mods
CASE IN POINT: I tend to use RDA tanks most, so I run E Juice that is 80% to 90% VG (with just 10% PG).
If I’m using an MTL tank like my Kayfun, I use Nic Salts E Juice or higher PG E Juice (50/50 PG/VG concentration).
Guides To The Best E Juice
If you’re in the market for either high VG E Juice or Nic Salts E Juice, we got you covered below:
OK, so that’s your basic options covered. I don’t know what device is best for you – only you know that.
But based on the above information and you’re own personal tastes, you have the following options:
I’m now going to suggest posts from our site that will advise you on the best options for each option.
If you’re going the Box Mod & Vape Tank route, check out our Guide To The Best Vape Mods – most of the listed mods come with tanks.
If you’re more interested in a pod mod, read VapeBeat’s Guide To The Best Pod Mods – they’re all great and 100% refillable.
If you want an MTL vape kit, but don’t want a pod mod, check out our Guide To The Best MTL Vape Kit – it’s a box mod and tank combo, and it’s brilliant for those after an MTL vaping experience.
All of the products we recommend in these lists have been tested and vetted by our experienced team of reviewers.
Only the most exceptional devices make it onto our Best Lists, so if a device is on one of them, it has beaten out hundreds of other competing devices.
I hope that all made sense and you feel more confident about choosing your first vape kit.
If you have any other questions, or you think I missed something, do not hesitate to contact me via Facebook!