How To Build Your Own Vape Coils: A Primer On Everything You Need To Know
Fancy building your own vape coils? Good for you! Coil Building is the art in which you build your own coil put it in your RDA, RTA or RBA, wick it and thus create your own, bespoke coil.
A LOT of vapers now do this. And the reason why is myriad; some prefer the flavour, others enjoy the craft. Any cloud-chaser worth their salt will almost certainly build their own coils — this is the only true path to truly GIGANTIC cloud plumes.
There’s a TON of vape gear on Amazon geared towards those who want to design, build and maintain their own coils. Like this awesome DIY Coil Builders Kit:
- Composed by the nine sets, small size, easy to carry and use
- Each accessory is carefully made, more comfortable to use
- Multifunction kit, ready to choose according to their needs
- Note: The color of pen-shaped screwdriver is random
- CW-20 - Make 2 mm coils, CW-25 - Makes 2.6mm coils, CW-30 - Makes 3mm Coils
Building your own coils is far cheaper than buying prebuilt coil heads, but it is slightly tricky to do, requires care and attention, and if not done correctly can be rather dangerous. You NEED to understand Ohm’s Law, for instance, and you NEED to be confident with a set of tools.
As many of you will know, there are plenty of places to get all the gear you need to build your own coils. However, our favourite retailer of ALL things pertaining to coil-building is Coil Master.
Why? Simple: they have EVERYTHING you need from wire, to testing blocks to DIY kits. Advanced or novice, it doesn’t matter — Coil Master stocks pretty much everything you will require to get started. I stumbled across these guys earlier in the year and have pretty much been buying my gear exclusively from them since.
You can also buy your coils pre-made if you can’t be bothered with the hassle of making your own.
- 0.45ohm Premade Alien coils
- Kernel:0.3 x 0.8 flat
- Wrapped:32GA A1
- 10 already made coils per package
- Great for electronic diy / craft projects
- High Quality Design
- You will get 16pcs coils
- 4 different wire design
- Fast Heating
I would highly recommend that you check out our post on Ohm’s Law before going any further. Once you’ve done that and you’re fully versed in the way of Ohm’s — don’t worry, it’s not too difficult to understand — you’re ready to begin your adventure into the world of coil building.
How To Build Your Own Vape Coils: Wires
I want to start off with the different wire sizes that will be available to you when you decide to build your own coils. You will have the choices of: 22g, 24g, 26g, 28g, 30g, 32g and 34g wire.
The “g” stands for gauge. All these wires are available in Kanthal and other wire types suitable for vaping but for this article I will only be discussing Kanthal, as this is just a beginner’s guide.
Your Ohm’s resistance will vary based on each individual wire, how many wraps and what size tool you are wrapping your wire around. There are many, many different coil options when building your own and finding one that suits you will take some trial and error but it is well worth the time and effort.
Below I will list an example of a coil that I used for the longest time and still use regularly as it is simple, straight forward and very easy — with a bit of practice — to build from scratch.
A 24g 6 wrap over a 2.5mm tool/screwdriver. I do two of these coils and my Ohm’s end up around .3ohms, which is a perfect balance of flavour, cloud production and battery life.
There are A LOT and I really do mean A LOT of different types of coils that you can build but for the beginner’s sake I will only mention four.
- Single Coil: You cut yourself about a 4-6inch piece of kanthal wire, wrap to your preferred wraps, install your coil onto your RDA, RTA or RBA, make the needed adjustments, wick your coil, saturate your coil with your eliquid and you’re all good to go.
- Dual Coil: Usually people go to this build after they feel comfortable doing the single coil build. This coil is done the exact same way as the single coil but twice, as you are going to now have two coils instead of the one coil.
- Twisted Coil: To do a Twisted Coil build you will need two pieces of Kanthal cut at approx 1 foot, a powered drill, a pair of pliers and your coil wrapping tools. I won’t go into detail on how to do this coil as it is much easier to just watch the video below. After you have your Twisted Coil setup you then do the same thing as you did with the Dual Coil and you are all set to go vaping.
- Clapton Coil: This one is the hardest out of all four that are listed. This coil takes a lot of patience and a bit more time then even the Twisted Coil but once you have done a few Clapton Coils then you will be faster. In addition to being faster you will get great flavour and cloud production from the Clapton. You install a Clapton the same as the other coils.
There are a lot of different kits and tools for building your coils. Everything from a precision screwdriver and pliers to more easier tools like a coil jig.
How To Build Your Own Vape Coils: The Tools You’ll Need
- Fingernail clippers/thin wire cutter
- Precision screwdriver set
- Kuro Koiler Tool (which I suggest)
- A pair of scissors for cutting your cotton
- An Ohms Reader is recommended but not required if you are using a regulated mod
- Kanthal Wire
- Organic Cotton
- Needle Nose Pliers
- Flat Nose Pliers
I suggest watching some videos on building coils as this gives you an idea on how building your own coil is done. The process is very simple and easy to do once you get a few coils under your belt.
If you’re seriously into building your own coils, safety is obviously something you have to consider, and making sure your wraps are set up correctly before use is one of THE MOST important aspects of coil building.
In order to do this safely – i.e. without attaching anything to you mod – you need to use a readings tester. And one of the best one’s is the Coil Master 521, which can now be picked up for just $22!
And DO NOT forget to use decent cotton. My personal go-to is Cotton Bacon, which, as you can see below, is super cheap (for FOUR bags).
- User friendly, resealable travel size package.
- 4 inch length, heavy body, easy to use bacon strip.
- U.S. Grown dual fiber for optimal wicking and heat resistance.
- No more break-in. 100% TASTELESS wick. Authentic with Authenticity Sticker
- Large fibers for lo-ohm builds, minimal dry hits.
Should you have any questions or concerns please feel free to comment below and I will try to help you the best that I can.